Tuesday, December 16, 2008

St. Lucia Day

Avery obviously agreed to his St. Lucia Day breakfast. Apparently he thought that it was worth puckering up for! This was our first celebration of St. Lucia Day to participate in; on December 13th. It is a holiday celebrated in Sweden and we thought that since John has a Swedish heritage that it would be fabulous to honor it in our home-- I love traditions!
Here is the traditional wreath of St. Lucia bread that I made that morning for Maribella to serve to her family in honor of the little girl who was said to have brought food to the oppressed Christians in Italy in the 4th century; lighting her way with a wreath of candles in her hair. It is a lovely depiction of showing Christ's love to those in need or in persecution. By the way, the bread was delicious! We can't wait to make it again next year.
And here is our darling St. Lucia. I gave her this white nightgown this morning in honor of her depicting Lucia. In Sweden the eldest daughter is the one who represents St. Lucia; and since we have one lovely daughter she is the lucky Lucia! She thought it was so special and was adorable. She even brought a tray of coffee and bread to her daddy in bed. (Because the daughter is actually supposed to serve both parents in bed on this holiday...needless to say, I was baking and getting everything set starting at 4am.)
Killian is wanting to get his hands on a little yummy bread too!

One last shot of Maribella as she eagerly awaits serving her family the St. Lucia bread this morning. Next December I will have to post the recipe for anyone interested in baking this lovely wreath too; Swedish or not. This was upon Peyton's suggestion.

7 comments:

Anna said...

Two things:
1. I hope the wreath of candles in Maribella's hair was not lighted??
2. 4 a.m. Tanna? Wow.

Okay, 3 things, that's looks totally yummy and what a fun thing to do!

Jenne said...

Tanna, you are AMAZING and so sweet! what a wonderful thing to do for your family!! And now I feel a bit bad that we only half finished out gingerbread house. I'm so lazy!! Maribella looks so precious and happy.

bridget said...

Mari looks like the perfect little st. Lucia! love it- you do need to post the recipe next year!

Kristin said...

She is a perfect Lucia bride! It was so fun to see that you started this new tradition in your home and so glad to hear how much you liked the bread.

Great to see you tonight!

Carrie said...

Maribella looked so sweet in her nightgown. But seriously 4am couldn't breakfast had just been later? LOL!

anya* said...

What a sweet tradition to start for your family! What a great reminder in the midst of Christmas madness to remember the less fortunate and oppressed. Love it.

A House FULL of Grace said...

What a wonderful to celebrate Scandinavian heritage...I love it. Avery has the same Beautiful Girlhood nightgown and always feels like such a grown up lady when she wears it!